Cookware Set Safest and Long-Lasting
Cookware sets materials all
Did you know that cookware is often made of different materials or a combination of the final cookware set? Pots and pans are made of the following: aluminum, carbon steel, cast iron, copper, clay and stoneware, stainless steel, and non-stick materials often used: ceramic and PTFE cookware!
Before purchasing your beautiful new cookware set you must know not only the material used to create the cookware set but the following:
- Rust is a flaky coating of iron oxide often formed on not only iron but also steel by oxidation in the pretense of moisture.
- Durability the ability to stand pressure constant use and resilience.
- Cookability Non-Stick is the cookware suitable for cooking all foods even acidic ones. Does the food cook evenly?
- Does the material of the cookware transfer into food?
- Cost or Price is it expensive or fair for your current
(This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure.)
Aluminum Cookware Set
- Aluminum reacts to acidic food and causes the metal to leach into the food, therefore the cookware now comes with coating.
- The coating used is called non-stick layer and anodized. The coating is fused into the base metal and does not peel away or chip off.
- The coating however can easily be scratched with metal utensils. If that happens it should be replaced to avoid chemicals in your food. It is best to use either wood or silicone utensils and get rid of any metal utensils that way your cookware will last longer.
- Aluminum cookware will heat up faster and evenly compared to stainless steel pots.
Carbon steel Pots and Pans Set
- Carbon steel is reactive to acidic food
- It can rust but this can be solved by making sure you always season the cookware, and it will form a great non-stick surface.
- Carbon steel does not retain heat after you are done cooking.
- It is light weight and the amount of material used makes it thin therefore cost less compared to other cookware sets.
Bare Cast Iron Pot Set
- Bare cast iron it can rust so make sure to season the cookware before cooking. However, as you continue to use the cookware with seasoning it becomes a non-stick quality.
- A small amount of iron will get into the food. However, this is no concern since our bodies do need iron, so this is a plus.
- Cast iron is one of the oldest cookware materials yet strongest and durable.
- It has an ability to retain heat in other words once you are done cooking the food will stay hot longer.
- The material is thick and heavy and durable almost bullet proof.
- The handle gets extremely hot, so you will need a handle holder to avoid burning your hands.
Enameled Cast Iron Cookware
- Enameled cast iron will not rust.
- Be advised that food may stick.
- Enameled material will keep the iron out of your food even acidic ones.
- Yet it is not durable because the enameled paint can chip, and you would not like to have it in your food.
- Just like aluminum, cooper reacts to acidic foods and causes the cooper to leach into the food. Therefore, coating is used often called non-stick layer.
- Cooper cookware will heat evenly.
- Since the material is extremely dense and durable so is the price.
- Note that cooper can oxidize and form a rust and even turn green if it is not polished on a regular basis.
Clay and Stoneware Cookware
- When you use stoneware to cook there is no leach of metals into your food.
- Stoneware manufacturing process is natural, so it allows your food to be cooked healthier.
- When cooking the heat is distributed evenly.
- Remember to use wooden or silicone utensils to protect the coating.
Stainless Steel Cookware
- Stainless steel is a metal with about 75% iron and other metals like aluminum, nickel, cooper, chromium to make it resistance to rust.
- It is bad at heating evenly food, so that is why you may notice the cookware to have a disk of aluminum on the bottom of the pans and pots so that food is cooked evenly.
- It is resistant to acidic food therefore no coating is used. Since no coating is used certain food can get stuck and it will be hard to clean so just be careful when cooking.
- Stainless steel does not oxidize or rust making the cookware easier to maintain without the need of polishing it on a regular basis.
Non-Stick Material Used in Pots and Pans
- Ceramic is often used for dishes that can be used in the oven but also as a coating for cookware.
- Ceramic requires very little maintenance but if it scratches it should be replaced.
- If you do not have a lot of space to store your cookware it is not recommended to stack them that way you prevent chipping.
- It is also non-reactive to acidic food.
- However, the ceramic cookware is meant to be used for cooking only on a low to medium heat only to prevent damage to the coating.
- Teflon claims and sells cookware for the nonstick feature.
- (PTFE) meaning it contains polyfluoroalkyl better known as Teflon
- (PFAs) perfluoroalkyl a substance used to create the nonstick surface.
- Be advised that Teflon emit toxic fumes when heated at a very high temperature.
- When cookware is heated the nonstick (PTFE) and (PFAs) becomes (PFOA) perfluorooctanoic acid that causes many health problems.
I hope this information would make it easier for you to buy your new cookware set. I recommend considering your actual need to replace your old cookware set is it urgent or can it wait. Think about your budget, can you afford to buy an expensive cookware set or not? If not consider just buying the pots or pans that you need urgently only and choose the best material that you prefer based on the advantages and disadvantages mentioned above. Perhaps you can wait a little longer until you save more money and buy yourself a good cookware set that is durable and worth every penny you invested. I strongly suggest replacing all metal utensils to either wooden or silicone that way your cookware set will last longer. Purchasing wisely is important
Great article! My primary cookware is cast iron that’s been handed down in the family.
Thank you for commenting Sandra, although cast iron is expensive is the best investment anyone should make.